Misogyny in games is everywhere and almost as old as popular games are. I love games, I work in games, I play games, games are awesome, powerful and wonderful. But the way the games industry and community treats roughly 50% of the human population is a giant festering ugly tumor, right in our favorite cultures’s face.
Considering the damage misogyny in games does to pop culture and to society at large (games are a large cultural force now), I find myself always flabbergasted at the consorted and massive efforts from gamers to keep things as disgusting as they are, whenever someone speaks up against it.
Instead of joining forces with people, who care enough to make games better for all of us and, yes, help women get a better standing in society, gamers get defensive. They play the victim, rationalize, become offensive and even resort to hostile attacks and vandalism.
This is not helping. It is generating additional damage to our culture, in fact. Whatever the aspect of games, the community or themselves it is, they get so protective about… they are completely poisoning and deforming it, by their own misguided actions defending misogyny in games.
Trigger warnings for victimization/torture/rape imagery in the example images. Please click with caution.
This is a great article dealing with common defense arguments against sexism/misogyny in video games, largely in response to the bile Anita Sarkeesian (of Feminist Frequency) has been dealing with in her video projects.
Although one also suggests not reading the comments. Because there should probably be a special punch to the face for commenters who try to rationalize/defend exactly what the article is pointing out using the exact arguments the article is breaking down.
- sarazaa likes this
- neverjay reblogged this from micromys
- shorttfuse likes this
- joonwho reblogged this from yamisnuffles
- isadorathegreat reblogged this from ambivalentchef
- xiaa likes this
- nitrateglow likes this
- septemberafternoon likes this
- 11sbowtie reblogged this from chirart
- blueflowerwine reblogged this from rsek
- blueflowerwine likes this
- rsek reblogged this from barbeauxbot
- sweetestsiren reblogged this from gamerisms
- nocticola likes this
- 1cheezymonkey likes this
- jarasmod reblogged this from chirart
- jarasmod likes this
- weenyah reblogged this from lefrin
- weenyah likes this
- surefootkeeneye reblogged this from chirart
- cviperfan likes this
- thesunfloweramazon reblogged this from unitology
- lefrin reblogged this from perunaprofeetta
- vorca reblogged this from perunaprofeetta
- perunaprofeetta reblogged this from thegamingmuse
- liobi likes this
- thatasianninjagirl reblogged this from masterofmonster
- sirsammichman reblogged this from masterofmonster
- flonne likes this
- tomsellecksbootyshorts likes this
- penguinpace likes this
- aviantheatrics likes this
- sirsammichman likes this
- diablerie-clusterfuck likes this
- sweetguts reblogged this from masterofmonster
- masterofmonster reblogged this from magicalbagofghosts
- darnaguen reblogged this from vanishingage
- ephers likes this
- myselfandmyother reblogged this from gamerisms and added:
- theequalistrevolution likes this
- bunny-smiles reblogged this from sweetrivertree
- jelligator likes this
- krakenattack likes this
- likewaxspilling likes this
- sweetrivertree reblogged this from chirart
- masterofmonster likes this
- magicalbagofghosts reblogged this from aquapunk and added:
- magicalbagofghosts likes this
- lunahorizon likes this